According to an article on Buffer Social, images posted to Facebook via Instagram get more engagement than native Facebook image posts. The article states that a recent study by Buzzsumo of more than 1 billion Facebook posts from 3 million brand pages determined that Images posted to Facebook via Instagram get 23% more engagement. Even though shares and comments were slightly higher through Facebook alone, likes and overall total engagement were significantly higher through Instagram.
The article goes on to state that this is an anomaly because typically cross promoting from one platform to another results in less engagement, not more. The article doesn’t venture a guess as to why - but my instincts tell me it is likely due to the highly visual nature of Instagram posts. Because they are so engaging, and different than the usual Facebook post, they make people stop to engage.
That got me to thinking - what other things can people do to increase engagement with their Facebook posts? For some suggestions I turned to Buzzsumo to read more about their original research. They hired marketing guru Neil Patel to analyze their original 1 billion post research, and he uncovered the following interesting trends:
1. Question posts and image posts receive the most overall engagement.
2. Short text posts that are less than 50 characters get the most interaction.
3. Directly embedded videos get more than six times the engagement than YouTube videos.
4. In this study posts without hashtags get more interaction than posts with hashtags (author’s note - since hashtags have only recently become searchable I suspect this trend will change over the next year).
5. Engagement increases on posts published between 10 PM and Midnight. Buzzsumo suggests that because fewer posts are published during that time, their is less competition for engagement. According to Buzzsumo “Thus you should zig when others zag.”
6. The study also found that posts published on Sunday get more engagement, likely also due to less competition from other posts.
7. Buzzsumo states that although text posts should be short, posts that link to longer form articles over over 1,000 words get the most engagement. So - while you should not post lengthy posts, you can link to longer articles for more information. (just make sure your into post is catchy!)
Buzzsumo created a great slideshow that summarizes their find which you can view here. You can view some Neil Patel’s full research with additional interesting insights here.
Denise Grothouse is the Founder and President of Perfect Six, a Marketing and Brand Management Firm.
What We Do
Social Media Marketing
We are located in The Lehigh Valley, near Allentown, Bethlehem, Easton and Quakertown and provide services nationwide.
Our marketing offices are open 8am to 6pm daily.
Feel free to call us at 484-725-6023 to learn more.
6104 Buckery Road Germansville PA 18053