Have you ever thought of each of the major favorite social media platforms as old friends, each with distinct personalities? The key to using social media platforms for marketing is to tailor your posts based on the platform you use. That’s because each social media platform has it’s own style, attitude and audience. Understanding the personality of social media platforms and the best social media platforms for business can truly help you build a social media strategy to find – and attract – your target audience.
Looking at the demographics and attitude of each social media platform is a great place to start. It can help you assign each a personality that you can use to base your marketing efforts. Knowing the personality of social media platforms provides you with unique insight to hone your approach. Understanding the personality of social media platforms will help you better target that audience, select the platform where you concentrate most of your efforts based on your target consumer, and shape your posts.
Let’s have a little fun with this concept by building individual personas for each:
Personality of Social Media Platforms
- Facebook is the socialite – she has a lot of friends, is a joiner, and likes to be a member of a group. She is highly positive, likes EVERYTHING and is very community minded. She is a sharer – personal news, photos, recipes, experiences, opinions, and the posts of like-minded friends. If you’re having a party, invite Facebook – she’ll mingle well with everyone in the crowd.
- Twitter is your smart and witty city-dwelling friend. She’s direct, hot-headed and straightforward. She is humorous, says it likes it is (in 140 characters or less) and isn’t afraid to share her opinion – or call you out if she thinks you’re wrong. She’s always got a comeback, and her sarcastic sense of humor make her a great dinner date or friend to grab a drink with to commiserate on life.
- Pinterest is your organized friend, who keeps her spices in alphabetical order and every drawer in perfect order. She can always come up with something fun to do at a moment’s notice, and knows the coolest places to hang out. She is creative, very well put together, and loves to share ideas. If you’re redecorating your home, or planning a party – Pinterest is the friend to call.
- Instagram is your stylish, artsy boho friend. She can spot the beauty in a moment. She takes beautiful photos and appreciates the artistic side of life. Her communication is highly visual, brief and to the point. Everyone looks to her for fashion advice, and her friends are loyal followers who turn to her for a daily dose of inspiration. Her posts are widely shared.
- LinkedIn is the professional of the group. Her focus is on enterprise social media platforms, networking and building her professional career. She shares her accomplishments and information on how to further your career. She is polished, business minded, focused and never politically charged. You’ll generally find her dressed in a business suit and ready for her next meeting.
This is an excellent exercise to analyze each platform to develop your own definitions as they apply to your business. While every platform might not be ideal for every business, it is important for audience development to spend time on each platform. Additionally, keep an eye on emerging social media platforms to identify the best social media platforms for your business.
Denise Grothouse is the Founder and President of Perfect Six, a Marketing and Brand Management Firm.